Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unexpected Sighseeing I & II

Today was the start of proper lessons and more importantly, the inaugeration of President Obama, but that's a blogpost for later.

:)

So, yesterday was great for me because I had enough of cold rooms and decided to do something about it; Called up the maintenance people, said it was really really cold, *shiver shiver*, and they sent someone to take a look.

The guy realised the clogged filter was the problem and proceeded to change it.
(really now, that's not too hard to figure out considering that when I opened up the heat system to check the first time I was here, I almost died of an instant dust induced asthma attack)


I. Am. So. Thankful.

Praise the Clean Filter.
Praise the Warm Air.
.
.
.
.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
.
.
.
Well, later that morning Yihan and I travelled Uptown (If you haven't already realised there was a map on the right, you do now. Well, Uptown is upper manhattan, as opposed to midtown, where I am at, and down town, where Wall Street, the WTC site, SOHO is ) to visit Sengteck and Xinxin at Columbia.
.
.
I can only say, Sengteck, you are VERY lucky to be doing grad school in Columbia.
.
.
.
.
.
IT IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
The gates right outside the subway kinda already hint at the kind of buildings you'd see inside.
I called them Greek, Yihan said they were Roman, but Sengteck said we're both sorta correct since the Romans were so influenced by the Greeks or something.
Whatever.
Go check up wikipedia if you're interested.




:)




.
.
Now now, ain't he/she/it cute?
.
.
.Hohoho.


Oh my! Someone made a sculpture of Liangyuan, Wong!

I love how he/she/it took the effort to be faithful to my hairstyle.


Xinxin and I.
He's reading law at Columbia Law school now. This guy has had some amazing journeys.

This is the alma mater. She has a hidden owl somewhere.
Sengteck says that if you spot the owl (without being told that there's a hidden owl), you'd be valedictorian for your year or something.

Well I spotted it. So smart hor? I know..... :)

Just Fairy-tale-ish.



The Thinker

INFOBITS BY LY & HIS FRIEND, WIKI
The Thinker (French: Le Penseur) is a bronze and marble sculpture by Auguste Rodin held in the Musée Rodin in Paris. It depicts a man in sober meditation battling with a powerful internal struggle.[1] It is often used to represent philosophy.



So, I requested for a proper american brunch, and Sengteck bought us to this nice quaint place called the Kitchenette.

Yes, Nice, Quaint Place.



无人是岛!
Pa always says this. I think thats the correct translation.
.
.
.
.
Well, I titled this post as such because basically, we walked and walked and stumbled upon this BEAUTIFUL winter-wonder land-ish park.




UNEXPECTED SIGHTSEEING I

Ok, maybe Sengteck knew it existed, but I never thought we would be seeing something quite so beautiful!

Columbia has a cliff and this park is located at the foot of that cliff.
It is so pretty these pictures really don't do it justice.



Behind us is actually a frozen pond.

Look! even the waterfall has icicles! My first 'live' icicles! heh.

Sengteck tried standing on the frozen pond. Even with the cracks in it.
Talk about being a risk taker.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Too bad it didn't break - it would have made for fantastic blog posting if it did.
But, oh well, I wouldn't want a frozen Sengteck now, would I.
:)






.
.
.
So yes, we walked and we walked, and once again, we stumbled upon a Cathedral!

UNEXPECTED SIGHSEEING II


Well, Sengteck knew it existed and so did Xinxin, BUT, xinxin , having stayed there for a gazillion years, NEVER knew it was such a fantastical, gorgeousical, fabulousical Cathedral.
It was the first time he stepped into that Cathedral!
.
.
.

THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF
SAINT JOHN THE DIVINE
INFOBITS BY LY & HIS FRIEND,WIKI.

The Cathedral of St. John the Divine, officially the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in the City and Diocese of New York, is the Cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. The cathedral is nicknamed St. John the Unfinished.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7]

Located at 1047 Amsterdam Avenue New York, NY 10025 (between West 110th Street, which is also known as "Cathedral Parkway", and 113 Street) in Manhattan's Morningside Heights, the cathedral is claimed to be the largest Cathedral and Anglican church and fourth largest Christian church in the world (although the title is disputed with Liverpool Anglican Cathedral)[8].

The cathedral, designed in 1888 and begun in 1892, has, in its history, undergone radical stylistic changes and the interruption of the two World Wars. It remains unfinished, with construction and restoration a continuing process.


The Cathedral was under construction, but nonetheless extremely breathtaking.







Well yes.
Entry into the cathedral is free, but you are invited to make a donation.
We being like stingy Singaporeans, didn't exactly donate when we went in.
Furthermore, we didn't exactly plan to want to go in to sight see!
It was unexpected!
RIGHT?


BUT!

As we left, I wanted a picture with the beautiful door!
So I went up to it to take that photo up there and
admire its beautilities
(i love this word from UB).


GUESS WHAT I SAW!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


.
.
.
.
.
Hence, hence.
.
.
.
.

LOL
It was enough to make me donate before leaving!
Now I don't feel so bad !



Outside the Cathedral.
Isn't it just magical?
.
.
.
.
.
.
OK, so the day didn't end too well cos we went on a double decker bus ride.
Yihan was correct in telling me not to go for it.
1) It was cold
2) It was snowing
3) It was dark

With all the above mentioned factors,
we basically signed up for
AN EXTRA LONG BUS RIDE WITH A RADIO COMMENTORY!

we COULDNT see anything cos the stupid windows were stupidly fogged up.
The purpose of a bus ride is to sight see , no?
But the organizers still had to go ahead with it!
Talk about post purchase dissonance.

Urgh.
ugly photo
Ugly photo again
Ugly photo once more
Final ugly photo



SEE! ALL THE PHOTOS ARE SO CRAPPY LOOKING!
MAKES ME ANGRY JUST LOOKING AT IT!


share my anger with all of you.
Now, do you feel angry for me oso?

:)

Now I feel better.
Thank you for sharing my anger.
It is appreciated.
And I'm so foo of shit.

:)

Bye!

0 comments:


original blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. MASSIVELY individualised by LYWong. Supported by Used Car Pictures. Powered by Blogger