Friday, March 6, 2009

Oops.

You know how in those korean/taiwanese soap dramas, you have the girlfriend who offends some random old lady on the street and that random old lady later turns out to be the boyfriend's mother? Yes, that kind of uncanny coincidence does happen to people in real life, and I sorta encountered a similar incident today. Well ok, so what happened to me wasn't exactly the same thing and it wasn't as drama-mama, but it was in the same spirit. HEH.

Kangwei, whom I got to know through the internship at ABN-AMRO, was visiting from Boston with his girlfriend (he and his girlfriend are SMU students on exchange in Boston) and I was going to have dinner with him and a few other people. So we arranged to meet at Madison Square Garden's Borders and when I arrived, he was already there with his girlfriend.

"Hey Kangwei! How have you been!", I said as I approached the two of them. It had already been a year since our internship and this was the first time I had seen him since then. Kangwei, who had already spotted me as I was entering borders, raised his hand for a handshake and his girlfriend, who had been casually flipping through some books, looked up and smiled. At that point in time, let's just say that my brain wasn't exactly registering anything so all I did was to return the smile.

"I've been great! How've you been yourself?" Kangwei replied while shaking my hand.

"Great , I've been good, New York has been fun so far!(ok, so maybe this is not the conversation, but it is close la) So, this is your girlfriend?" I said, and gestured towards his girlfriend.

"I suppose you know her?" Kangwei responded. Since I had seen her as I was entering Borders, and given that I did not recognize her then, I did not expect to recognize her again so although I should have picked up on the implications of 'I suppose you know her', my brain, which appears to be running much slower here than in Singapore, did not register anything. So I just assumed he was going to introduce her and I cordially raised my hand to get a handshake.

"Hi, I'm Liangyuan, you're ... ?"

My hand was already in mid-air but it was not receiving a handshake. I noticed the delay and I looked at her again. At that time, this person did begin to look familiar (maybe like 5%) but I thought, 'Nahh, I don't think it's the same person and I shouldn't be meeting her here especially in these circumstances', so I left my hand extended.

"I'm Yuxi la! haha. " the girlfriend replied.

Ahh... Then it dawned on me. My brain started chugging, I connected the dots and I immediately withdrew my hand in embarrassment.

"Oh ya ! OMG , how've you been? Ahh I'm so sorry.. blah blah blah"
You could JUST imagine me trying desperately to wriggle out of the situation.

.
.
.

So the history is as such: Yuxi happens to have been the girlfriend of a friend of Zheyi, and we have met a few times at social gatherings. I did hear that she had since broken up and that she was now attached to some other person, but trust me, I totally did not expect her to be attached to anyone I knew. And less so would I have expected to meet her in such circumstances !
.
.
.

You know Singapore is too small when these things happen to you. Too small, too small. heh.
.
.
.
So yea, We had a nice Korean dinner with some other people - 2 Ecuadorians (Nicolas and Anahi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ), 1 Texan- Sam, as well as Yuxi's other Singaporean friend- Kaywee (I think that's how it's spelt) who happens to be a senior from RJC.

It was an amazing group of people and an extraordinary dinner. And do you know, both the Ecuadorians and Sam can speak Chinese fluently-with a good accent too! Very impressive no?


Yuxi and Anahi !!!!!!!!


Yuxi and Anahi again.

Left to right:
Nicolas, Me, Kangwei, Anahi, Yuxi, Kay wee, Sam.





Yuxi and I!
I thought that after she broke up with Zheyi's friend, I wouldn't be seeing her again - guess we are fated to remain in each other's social circles!

Yuxi, if you do visit this blog, I'm sooo sorry for not recognizing you immediately!
lol.
I blame the cold.
heh.

0 comments:


original blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. MASSIVELY individualised by LYWong. Supported by Used Car Pictures. Powered by Blogger